Starting in the winter of 2016-2017, families receive the end-of-semester Advisor Letters digitally, rather than as a mailed paper letter.
Write your advisor letter as you would normally. When you are ready to post your advisor letter for review and publication, you can post them as comments on the appropriate column in your Advisory course in FAWeb (AL for First Semester, AL2 for Second Semester).
- Log into FAWeb using Safari or Chrome.
- You will find your ADVISORY course in your list of classes on the FAWeb home page. Click to enter the gradebook for that course.
- In the column appropriate to the semester (AL for First Semester advisor letters, AL2 for Second Semester advisor letters), click in the cell for your advisee and then click the Edit comments button in the upper right.
- Right click (control-click for Macs) and “Paste as text” (important, using the paste only option will add unnecessary formatting and characters to your letter) your advisor letter into the editor.
- When all of your advisor letters are ready, click Save and Close to dismiss the comments editor and click on the AL Grade Not ready column heading.
- Change the Ready for registrar? drop-down to read Ready and click OK.
- Click Save in the upper right.
You may recall that the there is a formal structure to the layout of advisor letters.
As advisors, we are responsible only for the highlighted portion: the letter itself, including our (typed) signature.
If you are writing to a family with dual households requiring separate addresses, please address the letter to both Parents or omit the salutation.
Our letters should be written in plain text with no formatting: no italics, no bold, no tables, no page breaks, no fonts, no nuthin’. The text that we enter will be reformatted automagically to create a PDF facsimile of traditional advisor letter formatting (as above), with headers, margins, paragraph spacings, etc. all set up for us.