In general, you follow the same process to import video from a camcorder into iMovie, no matter what sort of camera you’re using.
- Make sure your camera is turned on and ready to download.
- Connect the camera to your computer with the appropriate USB (or Firewire) cable.
- Click Import in iMovie and follow your nose.
However, iMovie is marginally more intelligent about dealing with some kinds of cameras than others.
- iPhones and iPads generally show up as in import option as soon as they’re connected to the computer.
- Digital Camcorders, such as the Panasonic camcorders from the Library, may need to be switched into “PC mode”, “USB drive” or “Playback mode” before they are recognized.
Be aware that iMovie organizes videos into two different types: Events contain video footage imported from cameras, and are generally sorted by date. Projects are the product of iMovie: edited videos based on the footage stored in events. If you delete footage from Events that is used by any project, those projects will become unusable, since their source footage will no longer exist!
You will always be importing new footage into Events. You may organize Events however you like, but one recommendation would be to organize your Events by project (one event per project).